Whisky Connosr
Menu
Shop Join

Discussions

Sneaking new whiskies past the wife

1 78

@jeanluc
jeanluc started a discussion

Okay, a recurring theme which warrants its own thread me thinks: sneaking that Highland Park 18 year old past the wife or girlfriend without her clocking it.

Success stories, tales of woe and hints all welcomed ...

14 years ago

Jump to last page

Replies: page 1/3

@Spof
Spof replied

Ooops! Went out for lunch and came back with yet another bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh. I've got some explaining to do when i come home tonight. :)

14 years ago 0

@jeanluc
jeanluc replied

@Spof Aberlour A'bunadh has a chunky bottle so its a tough one to sneak in...

14 years ago 0

@mohler
mohler replied

@spof I know that feeling, Thankfully her good self is away so I've been stashing a few too many - Bladnoch 18, Longmorn 19 (Single malts of Scotland) single cask strength, Nikka from the barrel, Compass box Spice tree, Big Peat, Amrut Fusion... maybe I went a little over the top????

14 years ago 0

@mohler
mohler replied

Well I would draw the line at trying to refill a bottle but I might consider swapping an empty a'bunadh for a full one!!! I usually keep the same bottles at the front of my cabinet so it's hard to tell what's going on behind. Recycling can be a give away. Be a gent, offer to sort out the recycling! (I reckon)

14 years ago 0

@jeanluc
jeanluc replied

Sage words @mohler. Aberlour a'bunadh is a risky one though, the clear bottle makes it easy to see how much is left.

Ardbegs on the other hand, with their dark green glass, are much more difficult to gage and could make better candidates for swappage.

14 years ago 0

@quirkzoo
quirkzoo replied

I have the advantage of being 6'2" tall (187 centimeters for the rest of the world) and my wife is 4'11" (150 centimeters) so I just put the whiskey all the way at the back of the top shelf of the pantry and put plenty of teas in front so that she can't really see what is going on back there.

14 years ago 3Who liked this?

@jeanluc
jeanluc replied

Very similar height situation going on here @quirkzoo. Hadn't considered that safety buffer, its only one kitchen chair away from scrutiny though...

14 years ago 0

@markjedi1
markjedi1 replied

This is a fun thread, but also a risky one as my dearly beloved is aware of my activity on this site. Having said that, I recently did sneak in a Pittyvaich 12 and got me a Rosebank today. Hush, now!

14 years ago 0

@Pierre
Pierre replied

I have a home office in an out building. It acts as a holding area before new bottles are processed into the main storage area in the house. This has to be executed with military precision. I consider myself to be like the special forces of the malt collecting world. I'm on an extended tour of duty.

14 years ago 4Who liked this?

@galg
galg replied

hehe :) so funny all of us has to fight this battle. why cant wives understand our need for many many bottles? i usually put it in the bag when i get a new bottle, then put it on a shelf. dont think she even notices... i've really improved my stealth skills with whisky ;)

slainte!

14 years ago 0

@Pierre
Pierre replied

I'm putting my skills to the test tonight. Having enjoyed the A'bunadh so much I spotted a bottle Aberlour at the supermarket and accidentally bought it. I'm only going to try it for research purposes ;)

14 years ago 0

@dram66
dram66 replied

I am expert at this sort of thing, had loads of practice. When I go shopping (the big fortnightly shop) I but a bottle, that way it does not even show up on the joint bank statement. Once home I take the food shopping in the front door, while wife is putting the food shopping away I sneek the bottle into the whisky cupboard and if I make the bottles click I say @ just pouring you a G+T darling! She says oh you are so kind, going shopping and getting me a G+T. Fantastic. Hope this helps you folks ;-))

14 years ago 2Who liked this?

@Pierre
Pierre replied

@dram66 the dreaded "bottle clink", enough to strike fear into the boldest man's heart! Can also catch you out during "the sneaky top up"

14 years ago 3Who liked this?

@jeanluc
jeanluc replied

Yes, yes... "the sneaky top up" another risky move, a squeaky cork can easily be your downfall. I have a bottle of Laphroaig which echoes round the corridors when I open it, alerting anyone within a 15 metre radius.

14 years ago 2Who liked this?

@cave
cave replied

My wife is a real genious. When I open a bottle of Ardbeg or Lagavullin, she can smell it ! Even two hours after I opened it ... OK ... I admit ... two hours after I opened it ... maybe then she only smells my 'peaty' breath.

14 years ago 0

@markjedi1
markjedi1 replied

LOL, these are truly entertaining stories. And some good tips too! Today my beloved Auchentoshan 1988 Bordeaux Wine Finish arrived through the mail, but the wife was home before I was. Darn! Now it's going behind lock and key until Father's Day.

14 years ago 0

@dram66
dram66 replied

aye, squeeky corks and 'bottle clink', we all have the same problems. so funny lol

14 years ago 0

@jeanluc
jeanluc replied

Off 'food shopping' now and may just come back with something for my cabinet :-)

14 years ago 1Who liked this?

@yossiyitzak
yossiyitzak replied

I order most of my bottles online and have them shipped to my work place. I don't bring them home unless I know she's going to be out or getting home later than me. Another thing I have to do is bring the bottle(s) to band practice which ends after she goes to bed and I sneak it in while she's sleeping. Actually, just today I had two bottles come in and I went home for lunch (13 miles from work) to put the bottles away. She doesn't count my bottles she just knows there are too many...

@TommieJones
TommieJones replied

Sneaking new whiskies past the wife

Haha lovely topic Jean-Luc

14 years ago 0

@jeanluc
jeanluc replied

Just slipped a Lagavulin 16 y/o into the cabinet without fuss or detection. Riding the wave...

(Oh and its very drinkable dram indeed.)

@garbageburrito

I must be the luckiest man alive. My wife bought me me first 5 bottles of Scotch, and doesn't mind at all when I bring something home, as long as she can taste it. She doesn't even ask how much it costs anymore!

@billt
billt replied

Replenished a Balvenie Double Wood (my go-to single malt) and a Famous Grouse (my favorite cost-effective blend) with the flourish... "To you, my love." when the wife cast a glowering eye. All is well.

14 years ago 0

Maltee replied

...through the basement door, in a bag labeled Home Depot: "Stand back unless you want to help. I'm going to fix the leaking toilet!" That, or keep the bottle in the car, with a couple of glasses.

@LeFrog
LeFrog replied

This is a classic thread (hope your wives don't read this!)

14 years ago 0

@JohnMcWindows

Maybe I'm not quite getting the header but here it almost would be the other way around. It wouldn't be the first time I find a bottle carefully hidden in the wine cellar...

14 years ago 0

@Lee
Lee replied

My drift over to peaty/smokey whiskies from my traditional mild speyside varieties has had one unexpected side effect. My wife detests the smell and complains it knocks her sick. The upside is when she's on my case I just grab a good glass full and it keeps her back to a safe distance!

@AboutChoice
AboutChoice replied

Doesn't anyone have the forsight to add a whisky clause to their marriage vows ... do you take Malty Morris, along with his malt collections, and future acquisitions, as your beloved husband ? No, I didn't either. Now, being unmarried for some time (no, not due to whisky), I buy and drink anything I want ... but not all is great ... I now have to be my own control, as to how much I buy and drink, which gets into serious conflicts of interest. Wanted: single lady who drinks whisky :-)

@Skepparkrantz

Funny topic :) one i can relate to. Just had to write down a line, my first on this nice website. I find myself buy new bottles these evenings my wife works, i would like to say that its just a coincident, but i guess its not.. I also store my bottles on the top shelf in the kitchen, the shelf i alone can reach all the way in. Yeasterday i however bribed her with a bottle of Baileys when i got home with my very own bottle of GlenDrochan 15 year Revival. :) That worked great.

Liked by:

@PMessinger

You must be signed-in to comment here

Sign in